Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Open source navigation app and GPS fix dilemma

Did you ever stand in open air with perfect view to the sky and wondered why it takes your android smartphone so long to define your location?

I do that regularly!

What totally confuse me is the obvious difference between two android app. If one can make it in seconds, why the other needs endless minutes to display the same GPS Coordinates?

Let's start from the beginning:
As for sports - to keep me motivated, I regularly record my inline or cycle trips with Runtastic android app. Honestly, I really like the new material design introduced in the latest update.


easy to navigate menu


Somehow seeing my poor participation in physical activity or skipping my training looks more compelling when illustrated. So I pretty appreciate automated Statistics:


comparison in simple table

Imagine this prosaic situation: 
... sitting on a bench under cloudless sunny sky, you turn on GPS location on your smartphone and tap this app to allow it time for getting signal. Your inline skates are tightly fixed on the feet, headset placed in ears and you are ready to hit the road.

WHOOPS ....



... your tracking app is still not ready to record your performance ... (I know my behaviour is utterly inexcusable - am ashamed)


It drives me absolutely crazy when I got to wait endless minutes to get GPS fix - especially when I see that another app can do it in less than no time.

exact number of available satellites

Sure, I got to agree that as bike guide on cruise ship, I am relocated daily over longer distances, which might be extra challenging for my smartphone to keep up with these constant changes.



But why on earth Runtastic app need additionally data connection to determine my location, when map and navigation application OSMand manages it only with GPS turned on?

My big plans to code android apps personally shattered so now I do not copy the technical background. However, I spotted a significant improvement in speed of GPS fix in Runtastic app when OSMand app was activated at the same time.


position now known



By the way - anyone asked why I prefer open source based maps from OSMand and I am more than happy to pay for the PRO version?

Personally, I enjoyed the offline map saving feature by Google Maps in their full colour range (as explained by +Android Authority . Especially for the necessity to refresh the whole offline map set regularly, they worked best with internet connection. (Something pretty expensive when constantly abroad). 

But vector based offline maps take at least less storage and for me extremely important:
they stay relevant and up-to-date over more extended period of time - enough for my stay abroad.

Modifications can be set to automatically update the next time when online over WiFi.


autoupdated offline maps

No comments: