Monday, March 25, 2013

Unzip a RAR and listen to audiobook

Somehow I happen to find on the internet a free copy of an audiobook in mp3 format - unfortunately packed into zip file. Searching for solution on android forum I found an easy-to-follow tip of how to open / extract downloaded zip file on an android device.

As a extremly happy and satisfied user, let me present you  and promote the great app, which solved my troubles: AndroZIP File Manager. Truly, guys from AgileSoft Resource are doing great service for android users - for what I am very grateful :)

So chronologically: I downloaded a free copy of an audiobook from a filesharing website. Unzipped the .RAR file in AndroZIP File Manager: longer tap and choose 'Extract to...' a specific folder and  rename the file accordingly. As a common format, mp3 can be played in every music player on android handsets.
Similarly I searched for epub format of this book title. Basically, after download, the file was transfered to folder dedicated to BOOKS using Total Comander by C Ghisler.
FB Reader as my preferred eBook reader, enables me to look up an ebook in directories - according to name, and additionally let me opt for a TTS option. However, I pretty enjoy listening to an audiobook version spoken by a human voice and simultaneously following the text. The reason to choose epub over pdf is that every single page of pdf file needs to be readjusted every time one swipes over to next page. So listening simultaneously to an audio book from music player in background, an ebook opened in eReader app (FB reader) as epub - fills up all the space available on the screen (a feature called automatic reflow of text to fit screen size ..). With simple swipe sideways a next page loads, additionally - size of letters can be adjusted to one's liking. Moreover, epub as simple text-only format takes only fraction of memory in comparison to pdf - what matters by larger files (classic books).
I found this as an alternative to extensive but still quite expensive offer on audiobooks on audible website.
To be honest, I still pay my monthly subscription on audible.de - which allows me for € 9,95 a month to pick 2 audiobooks of my own choice  from their vast audio library.
On the other hand, as proprietary, these sound tracks cannot be altered (renamed / played by app other than Audible app) - which I find way too stiff.

 Sure, as still in the process of learning a foreign language, audiobooks with complimentary pdf version always attract my attention. For offline pdf-to-epub conversion on android handset  the Nr. 1 app is ePUBator - very simple to use: just select a pdf file and the converted epub will be saved under the same name and in the same directory. Works well in most of cases, just forget those inevitable exceptions and you will be happy :)

Enjoy freedom in android :)

No comments: